Migration - Sudan


Finding solutions together

Sudan is a country of origin, transit and destination that hosts more than 1.1 million refugees and asylum seekers. The largest group is from South Sudan (another large group of refugees is from Eritrea, Syria, Ethiopia and CAR). Due to internal conflicts, there are many internally displaced persons in Sudan. As of 31 July 2020 there are 2,552,174 IDP’s. Refugees in Sudan are living in camps (about 30%) and the remaining 70% is residing in rural out-of-camp settlements and urban areas in a more integrated manner with host communities.

Let's connect

Our colleagues are happy to help you!
While the Government of Sudan maintains a generous open border policy for refugees and asylum seekers, key protection gaps still persist such as access to registration and documentation and limits of freedom of movement and access to basic services. In Sudan the Netherlands focuses on improving reception and protection and displaced persons in the region.

PROSPECTS Partnership

Image: ©PROSPECTS Partnership
One of the largest programmes at our Embassy is the PROSPECTS Partnership. This is a four-year programme implemented by five partners (UNICEF, ILO, UNHCR, IFC and the World Bank) in the areas of education and learning, employment with dignity, protection and inclusion and new ways of working together in East Darfur and West Kordofan.  

Regional Development and Protection Programme (RDPP)

RDPP is implemented by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO). The objective of this project is enhancing livelihoods in the agricultural sector in cooperation with local farmers and several Sudanese private sector agencies in the East of Sudan, targeting refugees and host communities.

AMIF 2019 (Asylum, Migration and Integration Funds)

This project will be implemented by WHO, UNFPA, UNHCR and UNICEF in five states: Khartoum, Kassala, North Darfur, South Kordofan and Northern State. The overall objective of this project is to improve access of refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable host communities to integrated health services, including, MHPSS, and to enhance local capacity to respond to current crises and to utilize recovery efforts towards development in Sudan.