Applying for an airport transit visa in the United States
If you live in the United States and want to apply for an airport transit visa for the Netherlands, find out about the rules and how to apply.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date of your transit through the airport in the Netherlands.
- You must submit a completed and signed Schengen visa application form. In the online form indicate ‘airport transit’ as the main purpose of your journey. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Bring a photo that meets the Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will be held for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
You must also provide a number of documents to ensure that your application is assessed correctly.
See the airport transit checklist (PDF, 228 KB).
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
Visa applications can be submitted at the Dutch visa application centers (VAC) of VFS Global. All applications will be sent to and assessed by the Regional Support Office (RSO) of the Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs in Washington, DC.
You can submit your application at the VAC in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco or Washington. Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
Applications from the islands
Applicants from the Bahama's, the Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico and Bermuda can only submit their application in person at the VAC of VFS Global in Miami (after having made an appointment).
Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
Once you have submitted your application, you can return to your home town with your passport and send your passport back to the VAC in Miami as soon as possible. The visa application center in Miami will need the passport to process your visa application.