Applying for a short-stay Schengen visa in the United States
If you live in United States and want to apply for a short-stay visa for the Netherlands, find out about the rules and how to apply.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date you intend to leave the Schengen area.
- You must submit a completed and signed visa application form. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are under 18 and are travelling without one or both of your parents or guardians, ask them to sign a consent form. Border guards may ask to see this form when you arrive in the Netherlands.
- The photo you submit with your application must meet Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
How will my application be assessed?
Some Schengen member states want to exchange information on visa applicants. This check (known as ‘consultation’) is mandatory for certain nationalities and can take up to 7 days.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses information-supported decision-making to make better, quicker decisions on visa applications. For more information on how your data will be processed, see the privacy statement.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
You must also provide a number of documents to ensure that your application is assessed correctly.
Please complete the appropriate checklist:
- Checklist visa application – visiting as a tourist
- Checklist visa application - visiting for business
- Checklist visa application - visiting family/friends
- Checklist visa application - visiting as a student/researcher
Applications via VFS Global
Visa applications can be submitted at the Dutch visa application centers (VAC) of VFS Global. All applications will be sent to and assessed by the Regional Support Office (RSO) of the Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs in Washington, DC.
You can submit your application at the VAC in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco or Washington. Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
Applications at the Dutch embassy or consulates-general
Visa applications can also be submitted at the Netherlands embassy in Washington or at the consulates-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco. Please make an appointment via the online appointment system. Or check the status of your application.
Applications from the islands
Applicants from the Bahama's, the Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico and Bermuda can only submit their application in person at the VAC of VFS Global in Miami (after having made an appointment).
Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
Once you have submitted your application, you can return to your home town with your passport and send your passport back to the VAC in Miami as soon as possible. The visa application center in Miami will need the passport to process your visa application.