Applying for an airport transit visa in Uganda
If you live in Uganda and want to apply for an airport transit visa for the Netherlands, find out about the rules and how to apply.
The Netherlands also represents Hungary and Slovenia. If your main destination in Schengen is Hungary or Slovenia, you can also apply for a short-stay visa at the Dutch visa application center (VAC) of VFS Global in Kampala.
Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate general are limited. This also applies to applications at an office of an external service provider such as VFS Global. Please check if you can make an appointment via the online appointment system. Are there no dates available? Then it is not yet possible to submit an application.
Coronavirus: extension of visa validity is not possible
It is not possible to extend a visa. Not even if, due to circumstances, the visa expired unused. You will have to apply for a new visa.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date of your transit through the airport in the Netherlands.
- You must submit a completed and signed Schengen visa application form. In the online form indicate ‘airport transit’ as the main purpose of your journey. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Bring a photo that meets the Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will be held for 59 months. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
Did you provide biometric data (fingerprints and photo) within the last 59 months prior to your current application? Then you can choose to have someone else submit your application for you. You do not have to appear in person.
Please note: If, during the assessment of your application, it appears that your fingerprints are not in the system, you will have to come and submit them. Also, you can always be invited for an interview if your application gives reason to do so.
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
The visa fee shall be waived for applicants belonging to one of the following categories:
- children under 6 years;
- school pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training;
- researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research or participating in a scientific seminar or conference*;
- representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations.
*as defined in point (2) of Article 3 of Directive (EU) 2016/801 of the European Parliament and of the Council ( 1 )
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 6 months before you intend to travel. For seafarers this is 9 months. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 45 days, for example if extra documents are required.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
How to apply for a visa in Uganda?
Visa applications can be submitted at the Dutch visa application center (VAC) of VFS Global in Kampala. VFS Global is an external service provider. All applications will be sent to and assessed by the Consular Service Organisation (CSO) of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.
The Netherlands also represents Hungary and Slovenia. If your main destination in Schengen is Hungary or Slovenia, you can also apply for a short-stay visa at the Dutch VAC in Kampala.