Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Uganda

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Uganda, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Kampala.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment via our online appointment system to apply for your visa. There could be a waiting period for appointments. We therefore advise you to schedule an appointment for your visa application at least 4 weeks before your intended date of departure.

If you have already applied for a visa, you can check the status of your application.

To prevent misuse of the appointment system, the Netherlands embassy reserves the right to block applicants who did not show up for their appointment from a future booking.

For contact details and opening times check our contact page.