The Orange Carpet Visa Facility in Thailand
If you are a business traveller who travels to the Netherlands frequently from Thailand and you need a short-stay Schengen visa each time, find out if you or your employees are eligible for the Orange Carpet Visa Facility.
Orange Carpet conditions
Whether or not you can use the Orange Carpet Visa Facility depends on which country your business is based in. The Dutch embassy can tell you more about this.
The conditions for an Orange Carpet procedure also vary from country to country. You will need to show why you travel frequently for your work. The embassy decides whether you meet the local conditions.
Orange Carpet benefits
The benefits of the Orange Carpet Visa Facility vary from country to country. Here are some examples of the possible benefits:
- You will not need to show as many documents to get a visa.
- Your visa will be valid for several trips (multiple entry visa).
- Your visa will be ready for collection sooner.
- Your visa will be valid for longer.
- You only have to apply for a visa in person once every five years.
- You will not have to make an appointment to hand in your application, or there could be special opening times.
- You can go to a VIP counter.
Who can use the Orange Carpet Visa Facility?
The Orange Carpet facility is mainly for staff of companies with current or future economic interests in the Netherlands. But the same conditions and benefits can also apply to other types of organisations (cultural, scientific, government) and individual travellers.
Collect first visa in person
The first time you apply for a visa you must go to the embassy or, if relevant, the visa application office in person, so your fingerprints can be taken.
Visa through another embassy
You might need to go to the embassy of another Schengen country for a visa, for example because there is no Dutch embassy in your country. You might still be eligible for an Orange Carpet visa. But there could be fewer services available.
Orange Carpet Visa Facility in this country or region
Orange Carpet Visa Facility in Thailand
Please be informed that from 1 January 2017 the application procedure under the Orange Carpet Visa Facility has changed.
The benefits of the Orange Carpet Visa Facility
- Easier visa processing for employees of registered companies.
- No need to supply a confirmed flight reservation, hotel reservation or proof of financial means at the time of the visa application.
- Possibility to issue a multi-year multiple entry visa.
Eligibility for Thailand
- Dutch companies that have a subsidiary in Thailand or Thai companies that have a subsidiary in the Netherlands.
After completing & sending the information form on this website to the Embassy in Bangkok (email@example.com), the Embassy will contact the Head Office of the company in Thailand and ask for a number of company documents. After assessment, the company will be informed if it qualifies for the Orange Carpet Visa Facility. The terms and conditions will be laid down in an exchange of letters.
Please note that according to Schengen regulations your main destination in Europe determines which Schengen Embassy or Consulate should issue your visa. In other words if the Netherlands is the main destination you should apply for a visa at a Dutch Embassy or Consulate General. The visa issued will permit you to travel to all 26 Schengen area (unless stated otherwise on the visa).
How to apply for a visa under the Orange Carpet Facility
Applications under the Orange Carpet Visa Facility have to meet the following requirements:
- Passport (valid for at least 3 months after your return).
- Two passport-sized photos, 35 x 45 mm, white background. See specification.
- Completed and signed Schengen visa application form.
- Confirmation letter of the company signed by one of the designated signatories explaining the purpose and duration of the journey and the names of the main traveler and accompanying first degree family members.
- 1 copy of all documents mentioned above (passport: two copies of the pages with passport photograph and personal data and one copy of previous visas).
- Visa fee as applicable at the current exchange rate.
- Copy of overseas medical insurance policy, including medical emergency evacuation cover (equivalent to 30,000 Euros), corresponding with the (desired) period of stay.
As part of the Orange Carpet Visa Facility the necessity to submit a confirmed flight reservation and hotel reservation is waived. In some cases additional documents might be required.
The Orange Carpet Visa Facility is only applicable to the employee and his/her accompanying first-degree family members. First-degree family members are spouse of the employee – i.e. the wife/husband or registered partner of the employee - or children under 21 years of age.
In case children under the age of 18 years are accompanying the employee on his/her business trip, the following documents have to be attached to the applications of the children: a copy of the birth certificate, a copy of the parents’ passports or ID and a written consent of parent(s) who will not accompany the child.
- By using the Orange Carpet Visa Facility, the company guarantees the return of the employee, bears the financial consequences of the trip, and ensures the traveler is in possession of the correct documents that can be requested by immigration officers at the border to prove a legitimate stay in the Schengen area. The company is obliged to inform the Embassy of any irregularities concerning the travel of the employee.
- The Orange Carpet facility does not apply to clients or business partners of your company.
- The Orange Carpet Visa Facility cannot be used if the main destination in Europe is not the Netherlands. The main destination determines at which Embassy or Consulate the traveler should apply for his/her visa; 
- Please be informed that on arrival at any Schengen border, the local immigration authorities have the right to ask the traveler for proof of meeting the Schengen requirements (please refer to our website for a complete overview of the requirements). Travelers who do not meet these requirements may be refused entry to the Schengen area. It is the travelers’ sole responsibility to meet these requirements. The Embassy or Consulate cannot in any way be held responsible in case your employees are refused entry to the Schengen area.
More information on the regulations of Schengen can be found here.
The written agreement between the Embassy and the company concerning the Orange Carpet Visa Facility can be cancelled at any time by either party by notification in writing.
 If the applicant wants to visit one particular Schengen country, the visa application should be submitted at the Embassy or Consulate of that particular country. If the applicant wants to visit several Schengen countries, the visa application should be submitted at the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which the longest staying period is planned or is proven to be the main destination of the whole journey. If the applicant intends to visit several Schengen countries and stays everywhere more or less the same, having no main destination, than the visa application should be submitted at the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen country of first point of entry.