Sponsoring a visitor from abroad
You can financially sponsor someone who is coming to the Netherlands for a short stay (up to 90 days). Your visitor needs a sponsor if they have less than a certain amount of spending money per person per day.
When don't you need to sponsor a foreign visitor?
Your visitor does not need a sponsor if they have enough spending money per person per day. Your visitor must be able to prove that they have at least €34 to spend per person per day, for all the days that they are in the Netherlands.
For more information visit the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service.
Conditions for sponsors
- Sponsors must earn the minimum wage gross income (excluding holiday allowance).
- Couples acting as sponsors must jointly earn the minimum wage (excluding holiday allowance).
- You must also fill in a proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation form
For more information visit the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (see Conditions).
Sponsorship: step-by-step plan
- Fill in the proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation form. Fill in one form for each person you want to sponsor. In some municipalities you can do this online.
Please note: both the form and the website state that this is intended for visitors who require a visa. But the form can also be used for visitors who do not require a visa.
- Have your municipality legalise your signature on the form. The form is then valid for 3 months.
- Collect all the other documents required (see the paragraph below).
- Send the form and all the documents required to your foreign visitor.
- Your visitor can take these to the Dutch embassy or consulate in their country and apply for a visa. If your visitor does not need a visa, they should take the documents with them to the Netherlands and show them to border control officers.
Other documents required
You must send the following documents with the sponsorship form to your foreign visitor:
You have an employment contract and want to sponsor a visitor:
- a copy of your employment contract that is valid for at least 12 months from the date of the visa application
- a copy of your last three salary statements
You run your own business and want to sponsor a visitor:
- a recent extract proving your registration with the Chamber of Commerce
- your most recent final income tax assessment
- a recent profit and loss account, showing your net profit