Legalisation of documents from Sri Lanka for use in the Netherlands

Have your document from Sri Lanka legalised by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Since August 2017 this has been done digitally. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Sri Lanka can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records. You will need to allow about three months' processing time for requesting documents in Sri Lanka.

  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Sri Lankan authorities where you can get these documents.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get this document from the Central Record Room in Colombo.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can have a sworn statement (affidavit) drawn up by one of the following:

  • a notary public
  • a court (justice of the peace)
  • a Divisional Secretariat
  • a village officer (Grama Niladhari)

Ask the authority which documents you need to bring with you.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

You can get this document from the register where your Muslim, Kandyan or civil marriage is registered.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document from Sri Lanka legalised by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On 1 January 2016, the Dutch embassy in Colombo stopped legalising documents from Sri Lanka.

After your document has been legalised by the Sri Lankan authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The legalisation of your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.