Legalisation of documents from Sierra Leone for use in the Netherlands

Have your document from Sierra Leone legalised by the Sierra Leonean Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a stamp or sticker. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Sierra Leone can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate

Ask the Sierra Leonean authorities where you can get these documents.

Certificate of unmarried status
(certificate of no impediment)

You can get this document from the Office of the Administrator and Registrar General. No other declarations are accepted as sufficient proof.

Other options

You can also get this document from the Sierra Leonean embassy in Brussels. Take a valid passport with you. The certificate must then be legalised by the Consular Service Centre in The Hague.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document from Sierra Leone legalised by the Sierra Leonean Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On 1 January 2016, the Dutch embassy in Accra, Ghana stopped legalising documents from Sierra Leone.

After your document has been legalised by the Sierra Leonean authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

­The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.