Applying for a short-stay Schengen visa in Saudi Arabia
If you live in Saudi Arabia and want to apply for a short-stay visa for the Netherlands, find out about the rules and how to apply.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date you intend to leave the Schengen area.
- You must submit a completed and signed visa application form. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are under 18 and are travelling without one or both of your parents or guardians, ask them to sign a consent form. Border guards may ask to see this form when you arrive in the Netherlands.
- The photo you submit with your application must meet Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
How will my application be assessed?
Some Schengen member states want to exchange information on visa applicants. This check (known as ‘consultation’) is mandatory for certain nationalities and can take up to 7 days.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses information-supported decision-making to make better, quicker decisions on visa applications. For more information on how your data will be processed, see the privacy statement.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
How to apply for a Schengen or Caribbean visa in Saudi Arabia?
Applications via the Visa Application Centers (VAC) of VFS Global
For visa applications make an appointment with one of the VFS Global offices in Riyadh, Jeddah or Al Khobar.
Applications via the Dutch embassy in Riyadh
Diplomatic passport holders who need a visa can lodge their applications at the Dutch embassy in Riyadh on Monday and Wednesday between 9.00 and 11.00 hours. Make an appointment via the online appointment system.
Have your passport with visa sent by post
You can also have your passport with the visa sent to you, for instance by DHL or FedEx courier. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself. You arrange with your courier that they will get your card with the Track & Trace number. With this card the courier can pick up your new travel document at the embassy and send it to you.
Sending your passport with visa to you is at your own risk.