Legalisation of documents from Romania for use in the Netherlands

You can use certain documents from Romania immediately in the Netherlands. Other documents need to be legalised first by the Romanian authorities. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Romania can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Trilingual certificates or multilingual extracts from civil status records do not need to be translated.

Which documents can be legalised

The most common documents are extracts from civil status records (oficiul stării civile).

  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • death certificate

You can get these documents from the civil status records office in the municipality where the birth, marriage or death took place.

Certificate of unmarried status

Romania does not issue certificates of unmarried status. You can, however, request a document that states whether or not you are married from the municipal office where your birth was registered.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get this document from the court that granted the divorce.

Other documents

Ask the authorities in Romania where you can get the documents you need.

Which documents do not need to be legalised?

The following documents do not need to be legalised for use in the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • documents drawn up by diplomatic or consular agents

The following documents do not need to be legalised for use in the European part of the Netherlands:

  • multilingual civil status record extracts

Trilingual certificates are not multilingual extracts

Romania also issues trilingual certificates in Romanian, French and English. These documents are not treated as multilingual extracts, but as birth, marriage or death certificates.

Which documents require an apostille?

An apostille is a stamp or sticker on your document. The following documents need to be legalised with an apostille:

  • multilingual extracts that you want to use in a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands outside Europe
  • trilingual certificates
  • all other documents

As of 16 February 2019 use of certain documents simplified within EU

You may have one or more public documents from a European Union (EU) member state that you want to use in another EU country. You will often require an apostille for these documents. As of 16 February 2019 you will be able to make use of a simplified procedure.

More information will follow shortly. If you would like further information now, see the article about the simpler procedure for use of public documents from an EU country on the European e-justice portal.

Where can you have your document legalised?

For an apostille

To get your document legalised with an apostille, contact the Romanian authorities. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH).

Once your document has been legalised with an apostille it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Mediation by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) in The Hague

As of 1 june 2018 the Consular Service Centre (CDC) will no longer mediate for people wanting to request documents from Romania and/or have documents from that country legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.