Applying for a short-stay Schengen visa in New Zealand
If you live in New Zealand and want to apply for a short-stay visa for the Netherlands, find out about the rules and how to apply.
Visa applications can also be submitted at the Dutch visa application centre of VFS Global in Auckland (see below).
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date you intend to leave the Schengen area.
- You must submit a completed and signed visa application form. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are under 18 and are travelling without one or both of your parents or guardians, ask them to sign a consent form. Border guards may ask to see this form when you arrive in the Netherlands.
- The photo you submit with your application must meet Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
You must also provide a number of documents to ensure that your application is assessed correctly.
Please complete the appropriate checklist:
- Checklist visa application – visiting for business/sports/study/cultural event
- Checklist visa application – visiting as a tourist
- Checklist visa application – visiting family/friends
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
How will my application be assessed?
Some Schengen member states want to exchange information on visa applicants. This check (known as ‘consultation’) is mandatory for certain nationalities and can take up to 7 days.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses information-supported decision-making to make better, quicker decisions on visa applications. For more information on how your data will be processed, see the privacy statement.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
Visa representation for other Schengen countries
You may also apply for your Schengen visa at the Netherlands embassy in Wellington or VFS Global in Auckland if your main destination is one of the following countries:
Applications via VFS Global in Auckland
Visa applications can also be submitted at the Dutch visa application centre (VAC) of VFS Global in Auckland. VFS Global is an external service provider. All applications will be assessed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands. Schedule your appointment at the Auckland VAC of VFS Global.
Applications at the Dutch embassy in Wellington
Make an appointment to apply for your visa.
Check the status of your visa application.
Check our contact page for contact details and opening times.
Requirements Passport Photos
The following photographers have been notified of the Dutch requirements for photos:
Unichem Lambton Quay
74-82 Lambton Quay, Bowen House
Have your document sent by post from embassy Wellington
You can also have your passport with the visa sent to you by post. The embassy uses a courier service to do so.
If you wish to make use of this service, please let us know during your application and fill out your adddress details on an envelope at the counter. The extra costs to have your document sent by post are 8 NZD. You must pay this amount during your application.