Legalisation of documents from Mexico for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Mexico in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Mexico can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Civil status records in Spanish

You can use official copies and extracts of civil status records in Spanish at Dutch embassies and consulates in Spanish-speaking countries.

If you want to use your document in the Netherlands, it will need to be translated. This must be done by a sworn translator.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate (acta de nacimiento)
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate (acta de matrimoni)
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate (acta de divorcio)
  • an official copy of a death certificate (acta de defunción)

You can get these documents from the civil status records office (Registro Civil). This website is in Spanish.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You can get an apostille from one of the 31 administrative offices of the United Mexican States. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Documents issued by the Mexican consulate in Oranjestad (Aruba)

Documents issued by the Mexican consulate in Oranjestad must be legalised by the Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs  (DWJZ) in Oranjestad. After legalisation, you can use your document in the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.