Legalisation of documents from Mauritania for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Mauritania in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Mauritanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then you must have it legalised by the Netherlands embassy in Dakar, Senegal.

Due to the corona virus, you cannot have foreign documents legalised at most embassies or consulates-general until further notice. Please check the contact page of the embassy or consulate-general to see if and from when it is possible to have your document legalised. Don't see a start date on the contact page? Then it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Mauritania can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records.

You have a personal identity number

If you take your yellow document (copie intégrale) with you, you can get the following civil status documents from any municipal office (préfecture):

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate

You do not have a personal identity number

You can get these documents from the municipal office (préfecture) in the municipality where the birth, death or marriage took place.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

Ask the Mauritanian authorities where you can get this document.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

First have your document and any accompanying documents legalised by the Mauritanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For the second legalisation you can contact the Dutch embassy in Dakar, Senegal.

After these legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How much will it cost?

Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Mauritania.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.