Legalisation of documents from Laos for use in the Netherlands

Have your document legalised by the Laotian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is done with a stamp or sticker. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Laos can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get these documents from the municipality (muong) where the original certificate was drawn up.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get this document from the municipality (muong) where your birth was registered.

Certificate of unmarried status

Ask the Laotian authorities where you can get this document.

Official copy of a death certificate

You can get this document from the municipality (muong) or province where the deceased person lived.

Where to get your documents legalised

Have your document legalised by the Laotian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On 1 January 2016, the Dutch embassy in Bangkok, Thailand stopped legalising documents from Laos. After your document has been legalised by the authorities in Laos, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.