Legalisation of documents from Kenya for use in the Netherlands

Have your document from Kenya legalised by the Kenyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Dutch authorities will check and assess your document.

Due to the corona virus, you cannot have foreign documents legalised at most embassies or consulates-general until further notice. Please check the contact page of the embassy or consulate-general to see if and from when it is possible to have your document legalised. Don't see a start date on the contact page? Then it is not yet possible. Do you only need to have your documents legalised by the local authorities? Then check with the local authorities if that is possible.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Kenya can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the population register in Nairobi (Department of Civil Registration, Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government).

Certificate of unmarried status

You can only get this document if you:

  • intend to get married
  • are a Kenyan national

You can get the certificate from the marriage register in Nairobi (Attorney General’s Office, Sheria House, Marriages Department). If you are unmarried, you can use this certificate as proof.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

If you got married under Kenyan civil law, you can get this document from the marriage register in Nairobi (Attorney General’s Office, Sheria House, Marriages Department). If you got married under Muslim law, you can get this document from the Khadi court.

Official copy of a divorce certificate

(decree absolute)

You can get this document from the registrar at the law courts in Nairobi.

Where to get your documents legalised

Have your document legalised by the Kenyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once your document has been legalised by the Kenyan authorities it can be used in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.