Applying for culture funds at the Dutch Embassy in Japan
Funding to support cultural cooperation and exchange between the Netherlands and the Japan is available. Find out how to apply.
The Dutch Embassy in Japan has funding available to support the programming of artists and designers from the Netherlands by cultural organisation in Japan. Projects eligible for support are those that
- give creative and cultural professionals from the Netherlands exposure to Japanese audiences and that aid the careers of these artists and creatives;
- stimulate Dutch-Japan reciprocal cultural exchange between artists and creatives in Japan and the Netherlands and cultural institutions in both countries;
- contribute to collaborations in the field of cultural heritage, in particular heritage that is connected to the historical exchange between the two countries.
Funding via the Dutch Embassy
You can apply for funding at the Dutch Embassy by submitting a detailed proposal to email@example.com.
Criteria for contributions from the Dutch Embassy in Japan
- The application for a contribution from the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Japan must include a detailed description of the planned activity, including the date(s) and location(s) of the activity, the names and contact details of the Japanese and Dutch partners collaborating in that activity and a full list of financiers/sponsors.
- The application must include a full and detailed budget of all costs involved. This budget must clearly show which costs the applicant wants to cover with Embassy funds and which costs are covered by other parties.
- The proposal needs to substantiate how the activity helps to build a relevant international audience/network for the artist(s)/creative(s) from the Netherlands and/or how it contributes towards the artistic/professional development of the Dutch artist(s)/creative(s).
- The activity takes place in Japan. Exception: online programmes organised by Japanese or Dutch cultural organisations aimed at audiences in Japan
- The activity takes place in 2021.
- The activity is yet to take place. Funding cannot be granted once the activity has started or after the activity has already taken place.
- The artist(s)/creative(s) from the Netherlands must receive adequate fees. Applicants should prove that fees are in line with, or better than, recognised codes of practice and guidelines set by the relevant lead bodies/trade unions.
- Only professional organisations (legal entities) can receive funding.
- Contributions from the Dutch Embassy will not exceed 50% of the total costs of the performance/presentation/residency of the Dutch artist(s)/creative(s). Applications by the same organizers within a short period of time have a lower priority.
- Collaboration or exchange between culture professionals from Japan and the Netherlands is a must. There is a strong preference for – and will be given priority to – applications from organisations in Japan.
- The organisational and artistic quality of the participating parties must be undisputed.
- Purely commercial activities are not eligible for funding.
- Amateur arts is not eligible for funding.
- Expenses that are eligible for support are, among others, transportation, travel and accommodation. The proposal needs to specify the travel and accommodation dates.
- When a contribution from the Dutch Embassy is received, it is a requirement that the participation of the Dutch creative(s) and the support from the Dutch government are clearly mentioned in the (marketing) communications.
- Hand in your application at least two months before the start of the project.
All proposals for cultural support have to be submitted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Beside the culture funds from the Embassy, funding to support cultural cooperation and exchange between the Netherlands and Japan is also available through a number of Culture Funds in the Netherlands. Please be aware that these funds have their own priorities and criteria.
Please find an overview of the Dutch funds as per below: