Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Ireland

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Ireland, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Dublin.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

How to apply for your long-stay visa (MVV) in Ireland?

You will need to make an appointment via the online appointment system to submit your long-stay visa application.

Walk-ins aren't accepted any more.

The embassy will contact by phone you once your application has been processed.

Important notice for MVV's for study

In case there are no timely appointment slots available for MVV - Study, please send an e-mail to the embassy mentioning your contact details and the start of your study programme. The embassy will inform you about the possibilities.

Any questions?

If, after reading the information on this page, you have a question, you can send us an email via the contact form.

You can also check our contact page for other contact details.