Legalisation of documents from Iraq for use in the Netherlands

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs can legalise documents for use in the Netherlands. If you are located in the Netherlands and unable to go to Iraq, you may instead request a declaration from the Iraqi embassy in The Hague. With this declaration you can have your document legalised at the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Iraq can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records, such as an official copy of a birth or death certificate.

In Iraq you can obtain these documents from the Ministry of Health (wazarat alsehha)

Official copies of marriage and divorce certificates are generally obtained from the Civil Status Department of the Ministry of Justice (wazarat aladel-mahkamat al ahwal alshakhsiyah).

Where can you have your documents legalised?

You must have your document legalised by the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The current situation in Iraq means that the Netherlands embassy in Baghdad cannot legalise documents.

If you are located in The Netherlands and cannot visit Iraq you can ask the Iraqi embassy in The Hague to draw up a consular certificate for your document. To find out what conditions apply, contact the Iraqi embassy.

You can then have this consular certificate legalised by the Consular Service Center (CDC) at the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague. You will also need to show the original document.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Iraq.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document only means that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic.

A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may conduct further checks.