Applying for an airport transit visa in Iran
If you live in Iran or if you are coming from Iraq and want to apply for an airport transit visa for the Netherlands (Amsterdam Schiphol airport), find out about the rules and how to apply.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date of your transit through the airport in the Netherlands.
- You must submit a completed and signed Schengen visa application form. In the online form indicate ‘airport transit’ as the main purpose of your journey. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Bring a photo that meets the Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will be held for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
You must also provide a number of documents to ensure that your application is assessed correctly.
See the airport transit checklist (PDF, 187 KB).
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
How to apply for a short stay visa in Iran?
Visa applications have to be submitted at the VFS office in Tehran.
Appointments have to be made via the website of VFS Global in Tehran.
It is very busy with visa applications. This will result in longer waiting times before you can schedule an appointment to submit your visa application.
Collect your document
Collection of your document
You can collect your passport with the receipt of your visa application at the VFS Global office 15 days after submission.
Negative decision on your visa application
If the decision on your visa application is negative, your passport will be returned to you with a letter stating the reason(s) for the negative decision. You will be requested to sign for the receipt of this letter.
Please read the letter carefully as it also contains information on the possibility to object to a negative decision. An objection is lodged in the Netherlands at the Ministry of Justice.