Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Iran
If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).
In Iran, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Tehran.
Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?
You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.
Applying for a residence permit and an MVV
You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:
- through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
- in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.
If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.
What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection
Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region
How to make an appointment for an MVV at the Dutch embassy in Tehran?
Please note that only applications for long stay visa (MVV's) can be submitted at the Dutch embassy in Tehran.
You will have to make an appointment via the online appointment system of the embassy.
What is the procedure upon arrival at the embassy?
- Your name will be verified on the appointment list.
- If you are more than 30 minutes late you may be requested to make a new appointment.
- Before entering the waiting area you will have to leave your mobile phone in one of the lockers.
- Upon entering the waiting area you take an entrance number. This number is needed to submit your application at one of the visa counters.
- If your application is not complete or if the photo appears to be retouched or not of a recent date, you might be requested to make a new appointment.
- Your application will be registered at one of the counters.
- During the registration process you will be asked a number of questions.
- In case you will have to pay fees, you will receive a receipt of your payment.
- Your visa application, supporting documents and passport will be kept at the embassy.
Processing time and collection
The processing time of an MVV application is normally 1 week. The date of collection will be mentioned on your receipt.
You can collect your passport on the following days and times:
- Sunday to Wednesday from 14.30 - 15.00 hours
- Thursday from 12.00 -12.30 hours
You do not need to make an appointment to collect your passport. Before you come however, please check the days that the embassy is closed.
Your passport does not necessarily have to be collected by yourself. It can also be collected by a person duly authorised by you (copy of his/her ID with your signature).