Legalisation of documents from Hungary for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Hungary in the Netherlands, you must have it legalised by the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. This is done with a special stamp called an apostille.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Hungary can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

  • Your document must be original and complete.
  • If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is not registered in the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have diplomas, certificates and other documents legalised with an apostille. An apostille is a stamp or sticker on your document. The most common documents are:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate

Ask the Hungarian authorities where you can get these documents.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can request a certificate of unmarried status from the Central Office for Administrative and Electronic Public Services (KEKKH) in Budapest or in the municipality where you live. Hungary does not register the civil status of non-Hungarians, unless they have applied for permanent residence status (and have therefore lived in Hungary for longer than 5 years).

You are Hungarian and in the Netherlands

As of 1 April 2016 the Hungarian embassy in The Hague issues official copies of:

  • birth certificates
  • marriage certificates or certificates of registered partnership
  • divorce certificates
  • death certificates
  • certificates of unmarried status

The official copy or certificate must then be legalised by the Consular Service Centre of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.
After legalisation, you can use your document in the Netherlands.

As of 16 February 2019 use of certain documents simplified within EU

You may have one or more public documents from a European Union (EU) member state that you want to use in another EU country. You will often require an apostille for these documents. As of 16 February 2019 you will be able to make use of a simplified procedure.

More information will follow shortly. If you would like further information now, see the article about the simpler procedure for use of public documents from an EU country on the European e-justice portal.

Where can you have your document legalised?

You can get an apostille from the Hungarian authorities. For details see the website of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH). This website is in English. After your document is legalised with an apostille, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Documents issued by the Hungarian consulate in Willemstad (Curaçao)

Documents issued by the Hungarian consulate in Willemstad must be legalised by the Foreign Relations Department (DBB) in Willemstad. After legalisation, you can use your document in the Netherlands.

Mediation by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) in The Hague

As of 1 June 2018 the Consular Service Centre (CDC) will no longer mediate for people wanting to request documents from Hungary and/or have documents from that country legalised.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.