Applying for an airport transit visa in Georgia
Since 28 March 2017, Georgian citizens holding a valid biometric passport are exempted from the visa requirement when travelling to the Schengen area for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period. This means that as of this date Georgian citizens in possession of a valid biometric passport no longer have to apply for a short-stay Schengen visa.
The visa exemption however, does not mean that travelers will be automatically allowed to enter the territory of the Netherlands and other Schengen countries. Georgian citizens must be able to present to the border police all the documents explaining the purpose and conditions of their stay.
If you are a Georgian citizen with a non-biometric passport or if you have another nationality and you have a Georgian residence permit, you will need a visa for the Netherlands. In that case we advise you to read the information on this page carefully.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date of your transit through the airport in the Netherlands.
- You must submit a completed and signed Schengen visa application form. In the online form indicate ‘airport transit’ as the main purpose of your journey. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Bring a photo that meets the Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will be held for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
You must also provide a number of documents to ensure that your application is assessed correctly.
See the airport transit checklist (PDF, 228 KB).
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
Schengen visa application procedure in Georgia
Visa applications for a short stay visa with main destination the Netherlands, Spain, Belgium or Luxemburg for Georgian citizens holding a non-biometric passport or for non-Georgian citizens with a Georgian residence permit, can be submitted at the Netherlands embassy in Tbilisi.
You wil have to make an appointment via the online appointment system.
The address of the embassy: Pixelcenter, 34 Ilia Chavchavadze ave. Tbilisi. See contact page for more contact details and closing days of the embassy.
Schengen visa application procedure for nationals of Armenia
Are you an Armenian national and would you like to apply for a Schengen visa for the Netherlands?
Armenian nationals residing in Georgia can make an appointment via the online appointment system.
Armenian nationals residing in Armenia should apply at the VFS Global office in Yerevan.
Schengen visa application procedure for nationals of Azerbaijan
When you live in Azerbaijan and you wish to visit the Netherlands for a short stay (maximum stay of 90 days), you have to apply at the French embassy in Baku.
For more information about the application procedure you can reach the French embassy on the following phone number: (+99412) 4908100. For general enquiries, you can send an e-mail.
In case you have a question after reading the information on this page, you can send an email via the contact form.
We will normally reply to your email within 48 hours.