Civic integration examination

Are you from a country outside the European Union (EU) and do you want to live in the Netherlands for an extended period of time? If so, check whether you first need to pass the civic integration exam in your country of residence.

Do you need to take the civic integration exam?

If you are at least 18 but under the age of retirement you must take the civic integration exam in order to live in the Netherlands for an extended period of time. If  one of the exemptions (page in Dutch) applies to you, you do not need to take the exam.

What do you have to do?


You can prepare for the examination using the Naar Nederland self-study pack. It is available in several languages.

Register with DUO

Before you can sit the civic integration exam, you must register with the Education Executive Agency (DUO).

How much will it cost?

The exam fee is € 150.

Make an appointment with the embassy or consulate

After you have paid the exam fee, the Education Executive Agency (DUO) will send you a payment confirmation. You can use this confirmation to make an appointment at a Dutch embassy or consulate. That is where you will sit the exam. Not all embassies and consulates provide this service. To find out where you can sit the exam, see the list of embassies and consulates.

At your appointment for the examination, you need to bring valid means of identification (passport), the confirmation of your appointment and a recent colour passport photo.

When will you know the result?

You will receive an email from DUO within 8 weeks telling you if you have passed your civic integration exam.

Authorisation for Temporary Stay (MVV)

After you have passed the civic integration exam, you can apply for an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV). You must apply for it within 1 year.

Continuing with your civic integration

After arriving in the Netherlands you will continue with your civic integration.