Legalisation of documents from Egypt for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Egypt in the Netherlands, you must first have the original document legalised by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then you must have it legalised by the Netherlands embassy in Cairo.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Egypt can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

There are 2 ways to have your document translated in Egypt:

  1. Have your document translated by the translation department of the Egyptian ministry that issued the document. Ensure that an official government translation department translates your document. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cairo will not accept translations done by any other parties.
  2. If your document concerns a birth, marriage, divorce or an addition to an existing official copy of a document, you can apply to the Egyptian civil status records office (Segal El Madani, located in Abbasiya Square) for a digital bilingual official copy (in English and Arabic).

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • a certificate of unmarried status
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

You can get these documents from the civil status records office (Segal El Madani). You will receive an electronic extract. The embassy legalises original documents only, certified true copies cannot be legalised.

Certificate of unmarried status

From 15 June 2018, the Dutch embassy in Cairo will only legalise certificates of unmarried status issued by the civil status records office (Segal El Medani). If you still have a legalised certificate of unmarried status issued by an authentication office (Shahr El Akari), check whether the recipient authority in the Netherlands will accept it.

Getting a certificate of unmarried status in the Netherlands

If you are an Egyptian national in the Netherlands, you can have a sworn statement drawn up by the Egyptian embassy in The Hague.

Official copy of a marriage certificate

To get this document legalised you need to present not just the translation, but also the original handwritten marriage certificate or a photocopy.

Where can you have your documents legalised?

First have your document legalised by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then you get the Dutch legalisation from the Netherlands embassy in Cairo. You can get your documents legalised from Sunday until Thursday between 08.00 and 12.00 hrs. An appointment is not needed. The processing time for legalising documents is one working day.

After these legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How much will it cost?

Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) cannot help you apply for documents or have documents legalised for you in Egypt.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.