Vacancies and internships
Vacancy – Policy Officer
Policy Officer Cultural Diplomacy / Public Diplomacy / Trade and Economic Affairs
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The Netherlands Embassy in the Czech Republic is looking for a policy officer for its integrated policy team (2,5 fte).
The policy officer will initially work on cultural and public diplomacy and press affairs. After the summer, a colleague will return from parental leave and the policy officer’s focus will shift to public diplomacy and trade/economic affairs.
The main purpose of the job is to support policy objectives of the Netherlands Embassy, in particular through stimulating cooperation between the two countries, engaging in public diplomacy and contributing to a better mutual understanding.
The policy officer will be cooperating closely with the colleagues responsible for trade and economic affairs, in a small integrated policy team. When needed, policy officers will step into to cover duties for each other.
The Netherlands Embassy in the Czech Republic is part of a worldwide network of diplomatic missions, representing Dutch political, economic, cultural and consular interests abroad.
Description of duties:
When focusing on cultural and public diplomacy duties:
- Raise the public profile of the Netherlands and its Embassy and lead public diplomacy projects.
- Facilitate and co-organize Dutch cultural activities in the Czech Republic.
- Management of the Embassy cultural and public diplomacy budget (incl. getting familiarized with relevant content management systems)
- Project and event management.
- Provide and disseminate information on the Netherlands and its Embassy, among others through social media. Manage the Embassy’s social networks and liaise with media.
- Networking and cooperation with partners in both the Czech Republic, the Netherlands and the V4 region.
- Monitoring domestic political and social developments, also with a view of identifying themes for public diplomacy projects.
When focusing on economic/trade duties:
- Assist Dutch companies in doing business in the Czech market, including responding to trade questions; support Dutch companies in finding local partners; carrying out trade promotion activities; assisting trade missions.
- Monitor economic news and report on developments in specific business sectors, relevant for Dutch companies.
- Cooperate closely with the Netherlands-Czech Chamber of Commerce and other stakeholders. Maintain a network of relevant contacts within the business community and Czech government agencies.
- Participate in and when necessary represent the Embassy at various functions, conferences and seminars in the Czech Republic.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree.
- Extensive knowledge of Czech society (and preferably also Dutch), which may include culture sector, business community/economy.
- Fluency in English and Czech (spoken and written) required, command of in Dutch is an asset.
- Excellent organization skills, ability to carry out a number of tasks at the same time
- Excellent writing skills, applicable in reporting, writing project proposals or creating social media content
- Good computer skills required, including willingness to learn how to use new tools (MS Office, MS Sharepoint, Hootsuite, among others).
- Budget awareness and experience with project management.
- Good communication and people skills
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work proactively, independently and flexibly
Type of Position
This is a fixed term position until September 30, 2021 with the possibility of extension.
Due to a colleague returning from parental leave, the policy officer can expect a reshuffle of duties to occur after the summer. The position will initially focus on cultural and public diplomacy, later shifting to economic and public diplomacy.
Hours: full time (38,75 hrs per week)
Diversity / inclusiveness
The Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
16 January 2021
How to apply
Please submit your application letter including résumé (CV) and two references to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands by email: email@example.com
For more information please contact Deputy Head of Mission David Röling via firstname.lastname@example.org.