Legalisation of documents from Cuba for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Cuba in the Netherlands, you will first need to have it legalised by the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After that, the Dutch embassy in Havana will legalise your document.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Cuba can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is not registered in the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Civil status records in Spanish

You can use official copies and extracts of civil status records in Spanish at Dutch embassies and consulates in Spanish-speaking countries.

If you want to use your document in the Netherlands, it will need to be translated. This must be done by a sworn translator.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are certificates from the civil status records office (registro civil):

  • a birth certificate (certificación de nacimiento)
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate (certificación de matrimonio)
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate (certificación de divorcio)
  • an official copy of a death certificate (certificación de defuncion)

There are three authorities where you can request these documents:

  • the civil status records office in the municipality where the birth, marriage, divorce or death took place
  • the civil status records office in Havana
  • the Consultoría Jurídica Internacional

Cuba only issues original birth certificates. When requesting a document, explain that you need to use it abroad.

Requesting a Cuban birth certificate in the Netherlands

You can request an original birth certificate:

Certificate of unmarried status (Fe de soltería)

You can get this document from the civil status records office. The certificate is valid for no more than 180 days from the date of issue.

Where can you have your document legalised?

First, have your document legalised by the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then make an appointment at the Dutch embassy in Havana for the Dutch legalisation.

The Dutch embassy in Havana legalises Cuban civil status documents in Spanish.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised in Cuba. This applies to all documents, except marriage and divorce certificates.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.