Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Brazil

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Brazil, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands consulate-general in São Paulo.

Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to apply for an MVV at an embassy or consulate general are limited. Please check if you can make an appointment via the online appointment system. Are there no dates available? Then it is not yet possible to submit an application.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Applying for an mvv in Brazil

In Brazil, it is only possible to apply for an mvv at the consulate-general in São Paulo.

To apply for your mvv in São Paulo, please schedule an appointment in the online appointment system.

Important notice for MVV's for study

In case there are no (timely) appointment slots available for MVV-Study, please send an e-mail to the consulate-general mentioning your contact details and the start of your study programme. The consulate-general will inform you about the possibilities.