Legalisation of documents from Benin for use in the Netherlands

If you want to use a document from Benin in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by the Beninese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Benin can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of a document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate
  • an official copy of a death certificate

Ask the Beninese authorities where you can get these documents.

Official copy of a birth certificate

You can get this document from the municipal office or police station in your place of birth.

Certificate of unmarried status

You can get this document from the municipal office in your place of birth, even if you no longer live there.

Where to get your document legalised

Have your document from Benin legalised by the Beninese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. On 1 January 2016 the Dutch embassy in Cotonou stopped legalising documents from Benin.

After your document has been legalised by the Beninese authorities, you can use it in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) (website in Dutch) can help Dutch nationals apply for documents or have documents legalised.

Verification of your document in the Netherlands

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. It does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.