Applying for an airport transit visa in Australia
If you live in Australia and want to apply for an airport transit visa for the Netherlands, you can apply for this type of visa at the consulate-general in Sydney.
What do I need to do?
- You must submit a passport or other travel document issued within the last 10 years. This must have at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least another 3 months after the date of your transit through the airport in the Netherlands.
- You must submit a completed and signed Schengen visa application form. In the online form indicate ‘airport transit’ as the main purpose of your journey. Each person travelling with you on your travel document must submit their own visa form. Forms for children under the age of 18 need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Bring a photo that meets the Dutch requirements for passport photos.
- When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will be held for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.
- You will be charged a fee for your application. If you apply through an external service provider you will also have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
You must also provide a number of documents to ensure that your application is assessed correctly.
See the airport transit checklist (PDF, 187 KB).
How much does a visa cost?
When you apply for a visa at a Dutch embassy or consulate, you must pay a fee. You can find the fee on the fees page. If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency, you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.
How long does it take?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you intend to travel. You should apply no later than 15 working days in advance.
In most cases, you will be informed within 15 calendar days whether your application has been successful. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days if more time is needed, and up to 60 days in exceptional cases, for example if extra documents are required.
Applying for a visa in this country or region
How to apply for an airport transit visa in Australia?
Visa applications can only be submitted at the consulate-general in Sydney.
Check the checklist on this webpage to see which documents you need to apply for your visa, have a look at the photo requirements and select the correct visa application form.
Make an online appointment to apply for your visa.
Please bring a complete application. Also be aware that you can only apply at our consulate-general if your main purpose of travel is the Netherlands.
The consulate-general doesn't take in applications that do not meet that requirement.
Please note that only family members can book one appointment for two people. For example:
• A family of three persons? Book two appointments.
• A family of five persons? Book three appointments.
Are you travelling together but you aren’t family? You will need to book a separate appointment for each person.
Check the status of your visa application.
Check our contact page for contact details and opening times.
Have your document sent by post
You can also have your passport with the visa sent to you by registered post.
You should provide a pre-paid, self-addressed A4 envelope when you submit your application. The envelope must be suitable for registered post and signature on delivery. It should hold no more than 4 passports. If you need to submit more, please provide additional envelopes. Other types of envelope will not be accepted. Your document is sent to you at your own risk. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself.
If you want to have your passport sent via express post, we advise you to purchase an express post envelope at Australia post. Please make sure that it has a "signature on delivery" sticker.