Authorisation for temporary stay for nationals of Iran
If you are a national of Iran and want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you will need a residence permit. In some cases, you will need an authorisation for temporary stay to enter the Netherlands.
Do I need a residence permit?
If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you will need a residence permit. You can find the conditions and requirements on the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
Residence permits must be collected in the Netherlands. To travel to the Netherlands to collect your permit, you may need a long-stay visa. A long-stay visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).
Do I need an MVV?
You do not need an MVV if you are a national of one of the following countries:
- a European Union member state
- Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, Switzerland or Vatican City
- Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea or the United States
In all other cases you will need an MVV.
How do I apply for a residence permit and MVV?
If you need an MVV you may first have to take the civic integration examination abroad.
You can then apply for your residence permit and MVV at the same time. You can do this in 2 ways: through a sponsor in the Netherlands or in person at a Dutch embassy. The recommended method is to apply through a sponsor, such as a family member or employer.
Your sponsor submits an application in the Netherlands
Visit ind.nl to see how your sponsor can submit an application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). If the IND approves the application, your sponsor will be sent a notification. The notification will contain instructions on what to do next and which documents you need in order to collect your MVV sticker at the embassy.
Submitting an application in person at an embassy
If you want to submit an application yourself, you should make an appointment to visit a Dutch embassy. The embassy will check your application, identity and fingerprints (or take your fingerprints if necessary).
The embassy will then send your application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The IND will make a decision on your application. The embassy will notify you of this decision..
Appointment to collect your MVV sticker from the embassy
If your application is approved, you can make an appointment to visit the embassy so that an MVV sticker can be placed in your passport. Take your passport (and a copy of the holder page), a passport photo and all the documents (and copies) mentioned in the letter from the IND or the embassy with you to your appointment. Remember to also complete an MVV issue form and take it with you. You will need this form to collect your MVV sticker. In most cases you will have to leave your passport at the embassy for a number of days.
Once you have your sticker you can travel to the Netherlands to collect your residence permit from the IND.
Long-stay visa (MVV) for nationals of this country or region
How to make an appointment for an MVV at the Dutch embassy in Tehran?
Please note that only applications for long stay visa (MVV's) can be submitted at the Dutch embassy in Tehran.
You will have to make an appointment via the online appointment system of the embassy.
What is the procedure upon arrival at the embassy?
- Your name will be verified on the appointment list.
- If you are more than 30 minutes late you may be requested to make a new appointment.
- Before entering the waiting area you will have to leave your mobile phone in one of the lockers.
- Upon entering the waiting area you take an entrance number. This number is needed to submit your application at one of the visa counters.
- If your application is not complete or if the photo appears to be retouched or not of a recent date, you might be requested to make a new appointment.
- Your application will be registered at one of the counters.
- During the registration process you will be asked a number of questions.
- You will receive receipt of payment in Euro.
- Your visa application, supporting documents and passport will be kept at the embassy.
Processing time and collection
The processing time of an MVV application is normally 1 week. The date of collection will be mentioned on your receipt.
You can collect your passport on the following days and times:
- Sunday to Wednesday from 14.30 - 15.00 hours
- Thursday from 12.00 -12.30 hours
You do not need to make an appointment to collect your passport. Before you come however, please check the days that the embassy is closed.
Your passport does not necessarily have to be collected by yourself. It can also be collected by a person duly authorised by you (copy of his/her ID with your signature).