Entering the Netherlands without a visa
Whether you can enter the Netherlands without a visa depends on your nationality. You can stay in the Netherlands without a visa for a maximum of 90 days.
Conditions for visa-free travel
Whether you can enter the Netherlands without a visa depends on your nationality. The Schengen Visa Advisor helps you determine whether you need a visa to travel to or via the Netherlands. If the Visa Advisor shows you do not need a visa, you can enter the Netherlands and the Schengen Area without one. You will, however, still need to meet certain requirements.
- You must hold a passport or travel document issued within the last 10 years.
- Your passport or travel document must be valid for at least 3 months after your date of departure.
- You must have proof that you have enough money to cover your costs for the duration of your stay (€34 a day). If you cannot meet this requirement, you can ask someone to act as a guarantor for you.
- You must be able to demonstrate the purpose of your stay to customs and immigration officials.
- You must be able to prove you have travel insurance that covers medical expenses.
- You must have a return or onward ticket.
- You must not be considered a threat to public order, national security or international relations.
Changes to conditions for visa-free travel from 2021
From 2021, non-EU nationals who do not require a visa to enter the Schengen area, will need to request prior authorisation to visit Schengen countries. This authorisation is not the same as a visa. You can apply for authorisation via the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS). You can only apply online. The exact date on which these changes will come into force is not yet clear.
You can find more information on the website of the European Commission.
Travelling to the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom without a visa
Please note: other rules apply for visa-free travel to the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom.
You may need a work permit if you want to work during your stay in the Netherlands. Even if your stay is less than 90 days. Ask your employer to check this for you.