Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Singapore

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

You can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Singapore.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

Whether or not you need an MVV and/or a residence permit depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

No MVV or residence permit required

You do not need an MVV or residence permit if:

For more information on staying in the Netherlands for a long period without a residence permit, please consult the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

Residence permit required but no MVV

You can apply to the IND for a residence permit (without an MVV) if:

  • you are a national of Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City
  • you are a national of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea or the United States
  • you are a family member of a national of an EU or EEA member state or Switzerland
  • you are a long-term resident of the EU and hold a permit for long-term residence in the EU. Your family members do not need an MVV either if they have lived with you in that EU country
  • you already have a valid residence permit for another Schengen country and a recognised sponsor submits the application for a residence permit. In this case, family members do not need an MVV either
  • you have held a valid EU Blue Card for at least 1.5 years in another EU/EEA member state. In this case, family members do not need an MVV either.

Go to the IND website to find out what you need in order to apply for a residence permit.

MVV and residence permit required

If none of the situations above applies to you, you will need an MVV and a residence permit.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the IND.

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment via our online appointment system to apply for your visa.

Check the status of your application.

MVV application for exchange students

Dutch universities and higher professional education institutions (hogescholen) together offer some 1,400 international study programmes and courses in English, making the Netherlands an attractive destination for students from all over the world.

Application process

When you have chosen a university for your exchange, bachelor or master's degree and your application has been accepted, the university will provide you with a list of required documents to apply for your visa at the Immigration Service in the Netherlands.

As soon as you have received the approval for the MVV visa from the IND through your university, you have to make an appointment via our online appointment system to schedule an appointment at the embassy to apply for your visa.

Please note

We strongly advise you not to book your flight before you have received the approval from the IND.
The Netherlands Embassy does not have influence on the decision making process at the Immigration Service (IND) in the Netherlands.


Please bring the following documents:

  • one completed MVV application form
  • valid passport (original + photocopy: data and signature pages)
  • Singapore ID/NRIC (original + photocopy)
  • one recent coloured passport photo (important note: light background and mouth closed)

During the application at the Embassy we will take your fingerprints.
The processing of the visa will take a maximum of 5 working days; we will hold your passport during this period.

Registration in the Netherlands

In most cases you need a legalised extract of your birth certificate to register at the municipality in the Netherlands. Please check with your university if this is required as in some cases it is not.
People born in Singapore can get an extract of their birth certificate (not to be laminated) via the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority. It should then be legalised by the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Netherlands Embassy in Singapore.
The cost for legalisation at the embassy is the Singapore Dollar equivalent of € 26,25.

If you were not born in Singapore, the legalisation needs to be done in the country of birth.

Please note

We advise you to bring the MFA legalised birth certificate when you come to have your visa processed so that you only have to come to the Embassy for the application and for pick up of your passport and legalised birth certificate.