Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Ethiopia
If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).
In Ethiopia, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Addis Abeba.
Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?
Whether or not you need an MVV and/or a residence permit depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.
No MVV or residence permit required
You do not need an MVV or residence permit if:
- you are a national of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) member state or Switzerland.
For more information on staying in the Netherlands for a long period without a residence permit, please consult the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
Residence permit required but no MVV
You can apply to the IND for a residence permit (without an MVV) if:
- you are a national of Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City
- you are a national of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea or the United States
- you are a family member of a national of an EU or EEA member state or Switzerland
- you are a long-term resident of the EU and hold a permit for long-term residence in the EU. Your family members do not need an MVV either if they have lived with you in that EU country
- you already have a valid residence permit for another Schengen country and a recognised sponsor submits the application for a residence permit. In this case, family members do not need an MVV either
- you have held a valid EU Blue Card for at least 1.5 years in another EU/EEA member state. In this case, family members do not need an MVV either.
Go to the IND website to find out what you need in order to apply for a residence permit.
MVV and residence permit required
If none of the situations above applies to you, you will need an MVV and a residence permit.
Applying for a residence permit and an MVV
You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:
- through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
- in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.
If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the IND.
First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.
What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection
Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region
How to apply for an MVV in Ethiopia?
Regular MVV applications (with appointment)
For regular MVV applications* you will need to make an appointment via our online appointment system.
* All categories, except for MVV family reunification with a person granted the asylum status in the Netherlands.
MVV family reunification after asylum and pass permit (no appointment needed)
You do not need to schedule an appointment if you want to apply for an MVV with reason family reunification with a person granted the asylum status in the Netherlands.
Specific (family) tickets will be handed out from Monday until Thursday. These tickets are non-transferable. A maximum of 25 (family) tickets will be handed out per day, depending upon the number of family members and type of request (new applicants, information).
You can apply for your MVV at the family reunification counter from Monday until Thursday between 8.30 and 11.00 hrs.
Collection at the family reunification counter can only be done on Tuesday or Thursday between 14.00 and 15.30 hrs.
Pass permit to leave the refugee camp
In case you need a pass permit to be able to leave your refugee camp, you or your representative will need to send an e-mail (in English) to the embassy containing the following details:
- full name of applicant(s)
- name of the refugee camp
- ration card number(s)
- telephone number of applicant(s)?
The embassy will request the Administration of Refugees and Returnees Addis Ababa (ARRA) to grant the pass permit(s) so that you can leave your refugee camp.
Please note that after the embassy has sent the request for a pass permit to ARRA, it can take up to two weeks or longer before you are allowed to leave the camp.
Collection of documents (no appointment needed)
You MVV can be collected on the following days and times:
- Monday to Thursday: 14.00 - 15.30 hrs.
- Friday: 11.00 - 13:00 hrs..
You do not need to make an appointment to collect your documents. Before you come, we advise you to check the days on which the embassy will be closed.
By exception a visa applicant can authorize another person to collect the decision / visa on his / her behalf. For this a written and signed authorisation letter from the visa applicant is needed, including a copy of the visa applicant’s passport.
The embassy will report the use of false and counterfeit documents to the Ethiopian authorities, depending on the forgery.
False and counterfeit documents will not be returned to the applicant.
Civic Integration-exams and DNA checks (by appointment only)
For DNA and Civic Integration exams you will need to schedule an appointment.
Send an e-mail to make an appointment.