Requirements for studying in the Netherlands: visas and residence permits

You will need a residence permit if you plan to study in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days.

Residence permit

The application will be made by the university you want to attend. First the institution will consider your application to decide whether to admit you to the study programme. If your application is successful, the institution will submit an application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) for a residence permit on your behalf. For more information go to

Holland Amsterdam Canal

Apply for a visa

If you plan to stay in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, you will not need a residence permit. But you might need to apply for a visa. This depends on your nationality

More information

Click on the links for more information on this website about living in the Netherlands, visas and residence permits and legalising foreign diplomas and certificates.