Legalisation of documents from Canada for use in the Netherlands

To use a document from Canada in the Netherlands, you must first have it legalised by Global Affairs Canada. Then you must have it legalised by the Dutch embassy or a Dutch consulate in Canada. After legalisation, you can use your document in the Netherlands.

Who can have documents legalised?

Anyone who has one or more documents from Canada can have them legalised for use in any part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands:

  • the European part of the Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Curaçao
  • Saba
  • St Eustatius
  • St Maarten

Requirements for your document

Your document must be an original and complete long-form document. It must have been issued recently. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.
  • A Canadian translator must be certified by the translators’ organisation of the province or territory concerned.

Which documents can be legalised?

You can have various documents legalised, such as diplomas and certificates. The most common documents are extracts from civil status records:

  • an official copy of a birth certificate
  • an official copy of a marriage certificate
  • an official copy of a divorce certificate

You can get these documents from the Provincial Vital Statistics Office in your province. The website of Statistics Canada gives an overview of all the Provincial Vital Statistics Offices in Canada.

Certificate of unmarried status

There are two ways to get a document which can be used as proof of unmarried status:

  • you can apply for a Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad from the Authentication Services Section at Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa


  • you can apply to one of the Provincial Vital Statistics Offices for a search of marriage records. See the website of Statistics Canada for an overview of these offices.

Getting a certificate of unmarried status in the Netherlands

If you are a Canadian national in the Netherlands you can get this statement from the Canadian Embassy in The Hague. The statement must then be legalised by the Consular Service Centre (CDC) at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Official copy of a death certificate

You can get an official copy of a death certificate from the Provincial Vital Statistics Office in the deceased person’s province The government website explains how to do this.

Where and how can you have your documents legalised?

First have your document legalised by Global Affairs Canada (the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs). You can find out how to do this on its website (in English and French).

If you only need your document to apply for a Dutch passport in Canada, the Canadian legalisation is sufficient. For all other purposes, the documents must also be legalised by the  the Dutch embassy or a Dutch consulate in Canada:

These honorary consulates only legalise documents until 31 October 2017:

After these legalisation procedures, you can use your document in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

How much does legalisation cost?

You can find the legalisation fees in the overview of consular fees. Payments must be made in Canadian dollars.

If you collect your document in person, or have this done for you, you may pay in cash, by certified cheque, by money order or by credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

If you send us your document by post, you may enclose a certified cheque or money order, or pay by credit card if you enclose the necessary authorisation details. Please also include your address, phone number and email address, in case we need to contact you.

Having your documents sent by post

If you wish, Global Affairs Canada can deliver your document to the embassy in Ottawa, or send it to one of the consulates. In this case, when you send your document to Global Affairs you should enclose a separate, sealed envelope, containing your payment (see above), and a letter with your address, phone number and email address, in case we need to contact you. The envelope should be addressed to the appropriate Dutch mission.

The embassy or consulate will aim to complete the legalisation procedure within five working days of receiving your complete application. We will return your document to you by regular post, free of charge. If you would prefer us to send your document by courier, registered post or ‘Xpresspost’, please refer to the mailing instructions.


Assistance from the CDC in The Hague

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) can help Dutch nationals get documents legalised in Canada.

Verification of your document

The stamp or sticker on your document means only that the correct signature is on your document. Legalisation does not prove that the content is correct or that the document is authentic. A municipality in the Netherlands, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) or another authority may decide to check this.