Part Time Vacancy for an Administrative Assistant at our Embassy in Pretoria
There is a vacancy at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Pretoria for an administrative assistant to support our Immigration Liason Officer. The role is part time and will start on 1 July 2023.
The administrative assistant to the Immigration Liaison Officer (ILO) is primarily responsible for the support of the liaison officer in their tasks. The Immigration Liaison Officer represents the Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) at the embassy of the Netherlands in Pretoria, South Africa.
The administrative assistant is responsible for the quality and punctuality of the products delivered by the ILO, which include reports on migration trends, advising local and international colleagues, including the national (immigration) authorities, on trends regarding irregular migration and training on irregular migration and travel regulations.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Maintaining the administration of the ILO in personnel, finance, operational collaboration and logistics;
- Keeping up to date with the interdepartmental administration and procedural implementation of personnel issues and financial administration;
- Registering and processing incoming messages and email;
- Responsible for drafting, processing and adjusting different ILO products such as special messages, alerts, PowerPoint presentations etc.;
- Contributing to the ILO reports and the network bulletins;
- Responsible for archiving messages/reports and the maintenance of (progress) files;
- Maintaining contacts with local as well as international (immigration) authorities, conveyors, handlers and security companies in the region;
- Organising meetings, accommodation, tickets, transport for ILO and contacts of ILO (e.g. visitors and/or delegations travelling to or from the Netherlands);
- Keeping training material up to date;
- Processing duties according to the requirements of the ILO Back Office formats;
- Maintaining an efficient working relationship with the ILO Back Office in the Netherlands and where necessary contacting the Back Office concerning the duties at hand and completed tasks;
- Maintaining an efficient working relationship with Consular Departments of the Embassy in Pretoria and the Consulate General in Cape Town;
- Precise and speedy handling of requests received from the ILO, the ILO Back Office and/or the ILO network.
Level of education
- Secondary vocational level (MBO);
- Knowledge of and proficiency in MS-office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
- 1 - 2 years of experience as an administrative assistant;
- Fluency in verbal and written English, knowledge of Dutch is an advantage;
- Awareness of the work area of aviation and migration and the terminology is an advantage.
- Stress resistant
- Willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
Staff member profile
The Immigration Liaison Officer is looking for an enthusiastic team player with a professional and independent work attitude. The successful candidate has very good communication skills and pays attention to clear and comprehensive communication with their colleagues and manager. The administrative assistant should be capable of functioning effectively under stress and high work pressure and always maintain generally accepted social and ethical values. The candidate should have a sense of integrity of confidential information. It is important to have interest and knowledge of the embassy environment and how to work within that organisation.
The Immigration Liaison Office at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Pretoria consists of the Immigration Liaison Officer, the administrative assistant and the driver. The Immigration Liaison Officer and the assistant work in a dynamic environment with a broad variety of contacts, including the ILO Back Office in the Netherlands, the worldwide ILO network, the South African (immigration) authorities and the networks of other foreign immigration attaches/liaisons.
Terms of employment:
- The Administrative Assistant is employed by and reports to the office of the Immigration Liaison Officer at the embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Pretoria;
- The contract will be a fixed term contract for 20 hours a week for the period of one year, with a probationary period of two months;
- Gross monthly salary will be non-negotiable dependant on the level of experience of the candidate (between ZAR 14.777 – ZAR 17.240);
- The successful candidate is expected to start employment from 1 July 2023.
Diversity and inclusivity
The Netherlands Government is an inclusive employer with a focus on diversity. We value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age or any other category protected by law. We promote flexible, family-friendly working conditions, where operational and security needs allow.
If you would like more information regarding the content of this position or the terms of employment, please contact email@example.com.
Interested candidates can apply before 15 May 2023 by sending a motivation letter and a recent CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are requested to mention in the subject field: Assistant ILO - Surname
Attachments should not be sent in ZIP or RAR format.
The selection procedure consists of an interview.