Vacancy: Policy Officer for Basic Education (Closed)
The Embassy of the Netherlands in Jordan is looking to recruit a Policy Officer for Basic Education. Deadline for submission of applications is Saturday 23 November, 2019 at 5 PM.
We are looking for a development expert in education with interest in the broader social development agenda. He/she should be a good networker, broker and have good communication skills. He/she should be able to be a convincing representative of the embassy in the field in our education network. She/he should bring good knowledge of the Jordanian (basic) education sector and is eager to bring this knowledge in for the Dutch programme on education in Jordan. We offer a workplace where people can expand their knowledge and network.
General features of the job
The policy officer is primarily responsible for helping to develop policy and for drawing up project plans for the section or sections concerned.
The policy officer is accountable to the head of section for effectively helping to develop policy and drawing up and amending project plans.
Ministerial policy guidelines in the area of embassy policy concerned, as well as available funding, are of importance when making proposals to improve policy and potential project plans.
The policy officer takes decisions about the quality of the analysis of collected data and the translation of overall ministerial policy frameworks into proposals for specific action by the embassy.
Duties and result areas
- Monitoring the implementation of the basic education programme in Jordan
- Coming with suggestions for implementing partners for the basic education programme in case needed.
- Keeping DSO (HQ) up to date on current projects and developments in the education sector and donor community
- Participating in the local education network (donors, implementation partners)
- Following all Jordanian policies related to basic education and participating in discussions, mainly with the Ministry of Education, and the basic education components of the Education Strategic Plan.
- Participating in all discussions related to basic education for (Syrian) refugees
- Helping to develop policy by:
Example 1: Contributing, on the basis of study of literature and reports, to studies and advice on the policy concerned, involving independent interpretation and analysis of the collected data.
Example 2: Translating overall ministerial policy frameworks into proposals for specific action by the embassy.
- Drawing up project plans for the embassy section or sections concerned by:
Example 1: Consulting with heads of embassy sections on wishes and opportunities within the policy area concerned
- Basic education programme (mainly financed through HQ funds)
- DSH (HQ) funded basic education part and other parts of the Strategic Partnership/ PROSPECTS
- Education network
Knowledge and areas of experience:
Level of education: university level
Level of experience: at least 5 years of relevant experience required with education in an international cooperation perspective
- Good knowledge of the Jordanian education architecture and challenges
- Good sense of gender related questions in education
- Sense for gender mainstreaming in education and social development
- Understanding of social and specialised developments in relation to the area or areas in which the embassy operates.
- Knowledge of general training methods and techniques for drawing up project plans and performing evaluations, and skill in using them.
- Understanding of relevant ministerial frameworks and legislation in the policy area concerned
- Skill in translating insights and information into advice, plans and reports and in assessing their policy and financial implications.
Good communication skills;
- Mother tongue Arabic, fluent English language skills (written and verbal) required;
- Skill in translating insights and information into advice, plans and reports and in assessing their policy and financial implications;
- Networking skills and ability to establish and maintain diplomatic and other contacts at a higher level;
- A proactive approach and ability to work independently;
- Must be able to represent the embassy at senior level in discussions;
- Good computer skills and experience with various computer programs.
The Netherlands embassy is located in Abdoun Al Shamali and is constructed under (Dutch) architecture. It houses a team of 40 staff members among which attaches, (regional) policy officers and support staff. The atmosphere at the embassy is informal, and we work closely as a team. The mission of the embassy in the different policy fields is considered a joint responsibility. Working languages are English, Dutch and Arabic.
The education policy officer is part of the Development and economy department of the Embassy in Amman headed by Deputy Head of Mission/Head of Development. The policy officer basic education progress works closely together with the Policy officer TVET. The working language is English. Dutch and Arabic are also spoken.
- With the involved ministries and authorities in Jordan and in the Netherlands;
- With education institutes in The Netherlands and in Jordan;
- With professional organisations, and development agencies (mainly UN and WB);
- With civil society organisations, such as CBO`s and NGO’s.
- With other members of the Dutch Embassy and especially with team members of the development team
- With other Embassy staff on procedures, working methods and progress of programmes, as well as explanation and interpretation of legislation
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter and CV.
Deadline: Saturday 23 November 2019, 5 PM