Vacancy: Driver of the Ambassador and General Affairs (Closed)
The Embassy of the Netherlands in Jordan is looking to recruit a Driver of the Ambassador/General Affairs. This post is a part time position (20 hours per week/ fixed working hours: 12PM - 4PM), however, flexibility in the mornings and evenings is required to accommodate the Ambassador's schedule.
Deadline for submission of applications is Saturday 23 November, 2019 at 5 PM.
General features of the job
- The driver transports primarily the Ambassador and in case of his/her absence, the deputy Ambassador, by official embassy car.
- The driver is accountable to Senior General Affairs and Liaison Officer for the transport of people and goods, and day-to-day vehicle maintenance.
- Driving- and other instructions, protocols, timetables, security procedures and traffic legislation, etc. are applicable.
- The driver coordinates with the other embassy driver(s) about transport arrangements in case of official visits, delegations and other, whether to take alternative routes and whether to take preventive security measures in the event of incidents.
- The driver performs assignments for the general affairs department in case requested and in case no engagement is required with the ambassador’s program. In addition, the driver transports other embassy staff members and delegations in case requested.
Result areas and actual duties
- Transport of the Ambassador, and in case of absence the deputy Ambassador
- Coordinate maintenance vehicle fleet
- Support the General Affairs department with transportation and simple administration tasks
- Back up for driver General Affair
1. Transport of the Ambassador, and in case of absence the Deputy Ambassador
- Safe and secure transport of the Ambassador (or Deputy Ambassador) to meetings inside and outside Amman, in coordination with the Management Assistant.
- Collect daily the agenda/schedule with the program of the Ambassador. Discuss with the Management Assistant the schedule, locations, protocol, etc. Report to the Management Assistant in case of modifications.
- Requests of the Ambassador regarding events at the residence or other work related issues.
- Prepare routes and check car before transport of the Ambassador;
- If necessary, advise about transport arrangements, whether to take alternative routes and whether to take preventive security measures in the event of incidents;
- Keep records of all journeys in the kilometer registration booklet of the relevant car.
2. Coordinate maintenance vehicle fleet
Ensure that the car is always ready to be driven. Responsible for the technical condition (including sufficient fuel and air in spare tyre), car papers and tools of the car;
Carry out minor maintenance on the vehicle and do simple repairs;
Follow the car’s maintenance schedule and inspect the car regularly;
If necessary, advise about transport arrangements, whether to take alternative routes and whether to take preventive security measures in the event of incidents.
3. Support the AZ department with transport and simple administration tasks
- Available for transport for embassy staff member, incoming missions and delegations;
- Coordination of monthly grocery (inventory, purchase)
- (Flexible and simple) administration tasks if requested.
4. Back up for driver General Affairs (in coordination with Senior General Affairs and Liaison Officer)
- Deliver notes to Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other government institutions, invitation cards for specific activities hosted by the mission, distribution of correspondence, etc.;
- Payment of bills (electricity, water, etc.);
- Check the PO box of the embassy on weekly basis;
- Renewal of residence permits, diplomatic ID cards, etc. of diplomats;
- Renewal of tax exemption of the embassy and diplomats at the Customs authority;
- Renewal of residence and work permits of non-Jordanian local staff of the embassy and household staff of expats at the Ministry of Labor and Residence&Borders;
- Handle the residence permit of temporarily non-Jordanian staff of the embassy at the police station (interns, trainees, BO-diplomats);
- Renewal of registration of diplomatic cars of the embassy and diplomats;
Any assignments, not specifically mentioned above but supporting the General Affairs Department and requested by the (deputy) Operational Manager and/or Senior General Affairs and Liaison Officer, are part of the tasks.
- Primary vocational level
- Driver’s licence
- 1 to 4 years of relevant experience
- Fluency in Arabic, good knowledge of English
- Preferably non-smoking
- Client orientation
Staff member profile
Energetic, flexible and committed person. Pro-active, taking initiative and self-confidence to come up with suggestions. Team worker, able to solve immediate problems and client oriented.
The Dutch embassy consists of a diverse team that values professionalism. This includes team spirit, working together, keeping promises, agreements and deadlines, one team-mentality, working hard, devotion and respect for each other and for integrity.
The team consists of 40 employees (including expats, local staff and interns). The General Affairs department comprises 13 employees in total.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter and CV.
Deadline: Saturday 23 November 2019, 5 PM