Vacancy for Personal Assistant to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission in Seoul
A. BASIC INFORMATION
Title: Personal Assistant to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission
Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Seoul
Grade level: 6
Hours: 37.5 working hours a week
Starting date: 1 January 2020
Temporary contract for one year with possibility of extension and/or fixed term contract
B. TASKS AND EXPECTED RESULTS
The Secretary of the Ambassador and the Deputy takes care of all secretarial duties related to both roles. The Secretary has an additional task regarding the veterans portfolio of the Embassy. Takes on work of others if necessary, for instance in the case of high level, incoming delegations.
Description of tasks:
- Takes care of the calendar of the Ambassador and his/her deputy.
- Translates Korean letters and invitations into English and handles telephone calls in Korean and preferably also in Dutch for the Ambassador and his/her deputy.
- Meets, greets and introduces guests at official functions to Ambassador and Deputy.
- Is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the main (Korean) contacts database of Ambassador and his/her deputy.
- Drafts routine diplomatic notes and correspondence in English (and preferably also in Dutch) and takes care of the English language correspondence of the Ambassador and his/her deputy.
- Handles invoices and bills, including reimbursements, and makes travel arrangements for the Ambassador and his/her deputy.
- Keeps the embassy drivers informed of the agenda of official and social obligations; informs residence staff about upcoming functions/events.
- Prepares guests lists, name cards and menus for functions/events at the residence.
- Functions as contact point for UNC (United Nations Command) and UNCMAC(United Nations Command Military Armistice Commission).
- Organizes (annual) Heongseong commemoration ceremony.
- Works with UNMCK(UN Memorial Cemetery in Korea) and MPVA (Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs) on any veteran relevant issue.
- Takes care of the (annual) Samil school event with V.O.K.S. (Veterans Association in the Netherlands)
- Assists the Ambassador as an interpreter if needed.
- Takes care of protocol affairs, official and social appointments and contacts with the Korean governmental agencies.
Description of expected results:
- Contribution to the smooth functioning of the Ambassador and his/her deputy through a pro-active working attitude.
- Flawless correspondence, name lists and –cards, introductions as required.
- An up-to-date contact database of the Ambassador and his/her deputy.
- Well informed (of social and official calendar) drivers,
C. WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Short description of the embassy:
The embassy employs 7 expatriate staff, including an Agricultural Counsellor and the Head of the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA), and 21 locally recruited staff. There are 7 sections:
1) Operational Management and Consular Affairs, 2) Political 3) Public Diplomacy/Press/Communication 4) Cultural affairs, 5) Economic and Trade, 6) Innovation and Technology, 7) Agriculture and 8) NFIA. The last four mentioned sections work together in an economic cluster. The Embassy also hosts an office of Dutch Nuffic (Neso), promoting Dutch education abroad.
The emphasis of the embassy’s work is on: Economy and Trade, assistance to the Dutch community, promoting and assisting Dutch companies in Korea and , attracting Korean investment to the Netherlands. Working relations within the Embassy are, like in the Netherlands, rather direct. Partnership and teamwork is our motto.
Information on the team in which the job is to be performed:
The Secretary works closely with the Ambassador and his/her deputy as well as the operational manager and maintains close working relations with the other embassy staff members.
D. Requirements for the job
Knowledge and experience:
Excellent secretarial skills, including computer skills such as Word, PowerPoint and management of databases. Excellent knowledge of English, and Korean, both spoken and written. Preferably also a good understanding of the Dutch language.. Good communication skills.
Short brief description of the type of person sought for this position:
Assertive, pro-active, client oriented, a team player with social skills and an easy communicator. Willing to take on work of others if necessary. Of impeccable integrity, that is to say open, transparent, constructive and able to work with confidential information.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume with a cover letter in English to: SEO-AZ@minbuza.nl by November 21, 2019.