Vacancy at the Embassy of the Netherlands in Skopje: Senior Officer Rule of Law
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Skopje is inviting candidates to apply for the position of Senior officer Rule of Law. We are looking for a dynamic and proactive person with strong professional ethics and background in Rule of Law development and who has a wide professional network in North Macedonia. The candidate must be a team player, have analytical skills and solid understanding of Rule of Law both on policy level and in practice.
DUTIES AND RESULT AREAS
Description of duties and result areas:
- Act as national focal point for the Rule of Law in the Embassy of the Netherlands in Skopje, under the guidance of the (Deputy) Head of Mission;
- Participate actively in the Western Balkans regional Rule of Law network which includes the Embassies of the Netherlands in Skopje, Belgrade, Pristina, Sarajevo and Tirana, under programmatic coordination and guidance of the regional Rule of Law coordinator in Belgrade;
- Analyse and monitor developments related to reforms, legislation, institutions, civil society, EU and International Organisations relevant for the promotion of the Rule of Law in North Macedonia and the region;
- Analyse and monitor developments in relation to the broader concept of Rule of Law including democracy, good governance and fundamental rights, in close cooperation with the other policy staff members in the Embassy. In particular those themes which are high on the political agenda and prioritised by the Netherlands: Judicial Reform; Organised Crime; Anti-Corruption and Human Rights;
- Submit information and policy input in the aforementioned policy fields to relevant Dutch, national and international stakeholders;
- Build and maintain a professional network with local and Dutch institutions, civil society and international organisations in the field of Rule of Law in the broader sense;
- Initiate, manage and monitor a successful project portfolio under the Dutch MATRA fund, as well as projects under the regional Rule of Law MATRA funds;
- Prepare briefings, speaking notes, background notes and high quality reports on Rule of Law related topics;
- Assist and support the Regional Rule of Law coordinator logistically and administratively when necessary;
- Represent the Embassy or the Regional Rule of Law coordinator within the scope of his/her responsibilities and assignments in Rule of Law, justice sector and human rights related meetings, workshops, coordination meetings and conferences;
- Organize/contribute to organizing events, official visits and missions in the framework of his/her responsibilities.
Knowledge and areas of experience:
University degree in law, (public) administration or related fields with broad interest covering i.e. constitutional, European, international and criminal law;
- Knowledge and at least three years of work experience in governance and justice sector in North Macedonia;
- Excellent communication and writing skills; experience with social media is a plus;
- Good networker: establishes and maintains contacts in a broad field of stakeholders and relevant actors;
- Team player: maintains a positive, constructive attitude and understands that our work is a group effort that can only succeed if everyone takes responsibility for their part;
- Good computer and information technology skills;
- Good knowledge of local language(s) and English, also in writing;
- Previous working experience in an international environment, project management experience and knowledge of the Dutch language are a plus.
- Ability to think analytically
- Ability to network
- Ability to work with others
- External awareness
The local Rule of Law officer will function as part of a regional network of Rule of Law experts, co-ordinated by the Regional Rule of Law Coordinator based in Belgrade, in close consultation with the (Deputy) Head of Mission. In that capacity, he/she will engage in regional analysis, knowledge exchange and project activities.
Within the Embassy close collaboration between all staff members is a necessity in order to fulfil the core tasks assigned to the embassy. Following, reporting and supporting Rule of Law in North Macedonia is a core task of the Embassy as a whole, with a focus on the key priorities identified by the EU. Promoting Rule of Law is thus a shared responsibility of all policy staff and close cooperation, information sharing and teamwork is a must. The position falls hierarchically under the (Deputy) Head of Mission.
If you are interested, please send your CV and application letter in English to SKO@minbuza.nl before August 29, 2019 at 12.00. Please mention “Application Senior Officer Rule of Law” in the subject field. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.