The Embassy of The Kingdom of The Netherlands in Belgrade is looking for a Senior Officer Security and Stability
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is inviting candidates to apply for the position of Senior Officer Security and Stability. We are looking for a dynamic person with a strong integrity and professional background in above mentioned sectors as well as a wide network within in Serbia and in Montenegro. The candidate must be a teamplayer, have analytical skills and solid understanding in the security field on policy level and in practice.
Duties and result areas
- Acting as focal point for the Security and Stability regional network in the Netherlands Embassy in Belgrade, under the guidance of the (dep) Head of Mission;
- Assisting the Regional Security Coordinator (based in Sarajevo) and the Regional Stability Coordinator (based in Skopje) in their activities;
- Analysing and monitoring developments and trends in relation to the topics of Security and Stability, in close cooperation with the other policy staff members;
- Analysing and monitoring developments related to politics, legislation, institutions, Civil Society (NGOs), EU and International Organisations relevant to the Security and Stability of Serbia and Montenegro also in relation to other Western Balkan countries;
- Preparing briefings, speeches, speaking notes, background notes, and drafting of reports;
- Building and maintaining a professional network with local and Dutch institutions, civil society and international organisations in the field of Security and Stability;
- Representing the Embassy within the scope of his/her responsibilities and assignments in Security, Stability and related meetings, workshops, briefings, coordination meetings and conferences;
- Active participation in the regional network of Security and Stability officers at the Netherlands Embassies in Belgrade, Pristina, Sarajevo, Skopje and Tirana;
Managing the project portfolio related to the above-mentioned themes as supported by the Netherlands either bilaterally or through the EU or other regional or international organisations (identification, appraisal, preparing all relevant documents, monitoring and evaluation, outreach incl. preparing participation of the Embassy in meetings related to the projects and public diplomacy in this field).
The senior officer will function as part of a regional network of Security and Stability experts, co-ordinated by the Sarajevo based Regional Security Coordinator and the Skopje based Regional Stability Coordinator, in close consultation with the (dep)Head of Mission. Within the embassy, close collaboration between all staff members is a necessity in order to fulfil the core tasks assigned to the embassy. Following and reporting on Security and Stability related issues is a core task of the embassy as a whole, thus a shared responsibility of all policy staff which makes close cooperation, information sharing and teamwork a must.
The senior officer will work for the two Regional Coordinators primarily, but will be hierarchically placed under the (dep) Head of Mission.
- University degree in security studies, political sciences, law, (public) administration or related fields with a broad interest covering i.e. international relations, (geo)politics.
- At least three years of work experience in the field of (international) security, law enforcement or judicial sector.
- Knowledge of the local government and institutional framework, as well as of local civil society.
- Good communication skills.
- Networker and team player: establishes and maintains contacts in a broad field of stakeholders and relevant actors. Maintains a positive, constructive attitude and understands that our work is a group effort that can only succeed if everyone takes responsibility for their part.
- Good computer and information technology skills.
- Good knowledge of local language(s) and English, also in writing.
- Previous working experience in an international environment would be a plus.
- Knowledge of the EU and NATO institutional framework is a plus.
- Project management experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Dutch language is a plus.
Type of employee required
The senior Officer Security/Stability should have a ‘customer-oriented’ attitude. He/she should be able to work in a team and should have a flexible attitude. He/she should have knowledge and affinity with the topics of Security and Stability as described above.
The senior officer should be pro-active, capable of ‘multi-tasking’ and willing to travel to the Netherlands and/or in the Western Balkans region.
- Ability to think analytically
- Ability to network
- Ability to work with others
- Client orientation
A fixed term contract will be offered for one year, which may be renewed in 2020.
The Embassy of the Netherlands in return offers a competitive remuneration based on your experience and skills. You will have the opportunity to work in a stimulating international environment and space to develop yourself in a team of professionals with different backgrounds. You will be able to further expand your professional network and gain a unique experience in the world of diplomacy.
We offer a flexible working scheme to all our employees and a good work-life balance.
How to apply
If you are interested to become part of our team, please send us your CV (up to 2 pages) and your motivation letter (up to 1 page) in English to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org latest by January 23rd, 2019.
Please use the following template: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed and invited for an interview and written test at the Embassy by February 1st, 2019.