The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Pristina is looking for a local Senior officer Security and Stability
A fixed- term contract will be offered for one year which may be renewed in 2020. Deadline for applications is 5 February 2019.
The Embassy in Pristina has 8 employees: 2 Dutch and 6 local staff members. We focus on the following priorities: strengthening European integration, rule of law, protection of human rights, regional stability and security and sustainable economic development.
The senior officer will function as part of a regional network of Security and Stability experts. The network will be coordinated by the Regional Security Coordinator (based in Sarajevo) and the Regional Stability Coordinator (Skopje), in close consultation with the Head of Mission in Pristina. Within the embassy, close collaboration between all staff members is a necessity in order to fulfil the core tasks assigned to the embassy.
The senior officer should be pro-active, capable of ‘multi-tasking’ and willing to travel to the Netherlands and/or in the Western Balkans region.
Description of duties:
- The Senior officer Security and Stability will act as focal point for the Security and Stability regional network in the Netherlands Embassy in Pristina, under the guidance of the Head of Mission (HoM);
- Analysing and monitoring developments and trends in relation to the topics of Security (e.g. Counter-terrorism, Prevention/Countering of Violent Extremism) and Stability (e.g. societal polarization, inter-ethnic tensions, inter-state/regional tensions, influence of external actors, cross-border crime), in close cooperation with the other policy staff members.
- Analysing and monitoring developments related to politics, legislation, institutions, Civil Society (NGOs), EU and International Organizations relevant to the Security and Stability of Kosovo also in relation to other Western Balkans countries;
- Building and maintaining a professional network with local and Dutch institutions, civil society and international organisations in the field of Security and Stability;
- Representing the Embassy within the scope of his/her responsibilities and assignments in Security, Stability and related meetings, workshops, briefings, coordination meetings and conferences;
- Preparing briefings, speeches, speaking notes, background notes, and drafting of reports.
- Active participation in the regional network of Security and Stability officers at the Netherlands Embassies in Belgrade, Pristina, Sarajevo, Skopje and Tirana.
- Identifying and assessing proposals for projects in the areas of Security and Stability.
- University degree (at least MSc or equivalent) in security studies, political sciences, law, (public) administration or related fields with a broad interest covering i.e. international relations, (geo)politics.
- Networker and team player: establishes and maintains contacts in a broad field of stakeholders and relevant actors. Maintains a positive, constructive and flexible attitude and understands that our work is a group effort that can only succeed if everyone takes responsibility for their part.
- At least three years of work experience in the field of (international) security, law enforcement or judicial sector.
- Knowledge of the governmental and non-governmental institutional framework.
- Good communication, computer and information technology skills.
- Good knowledge of local languages and English skills.
- Previous working experience in an international environment and specifically knowledge of the EU and NATO institutional framework is a plus;
- Project management experience and knowledge of the Dutch language is a plus.
- Ability to think analytically
- Ability to network
Please send your application to PRI@minbuza.nl no later than 5 February 2019, close of business. Send us a letter of motivation in English and a CV using the following template: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose. Please mention “Application Senior Officer Security/Stability” in the subject field. You may be invited for an interview and written test at the Embassy.