08 April Residence Public Tulip Garden Viewing - Friday, April 8 and Sunday, April 10!
- Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Notice : Sunday 10 April, 10:55: Public Tulip Garden Viewing
Due to the large number of visitors we were able to receive, we have reached capacity for today. Please understand that we will not be able to guide any new visitors from now on. Thank you very much for your understanding
Outline of Residence Public Tulip Garden Viewing
Date: Friday, April 8, 2022 10:00-16:00
April 10, 2022 (Sun) 10:00-16:00 *Last admission at 15:45 on both days
Place: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, 3-6-3 Shiba-Koen, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0011
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Japan will open its doors to the public for a viewing of the Residence’s Tulip Garden on Friday, April 8 and Sunday, April 10, 2022. The Ambassador's Residence itself will be open to the public at the same time, only for this special occasion. We hope that you will be able to share the joy of this beautiful spring with us while appreciating the tulips!
■ Comment from Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Japan, Peter van der Vliet
I am very happy to know that the tulip, the symbol of the Netherlands, is loved by many people in Japan. We would be delighted to share and enjoy the arrival of spring with you through this public tulip garden viewing.
■ 70 kinds of tulips, the largest number ever
Tulips, the national flower of the Netherlands, along with other flowers, are a major export industry of the Netherlands. It is said that about 80% of the world's tulip fields are in the Netherlands. This year, the Ambassador's residence is decorated with about 13,000 tulips of 70 varieties, the largest number ever imported from the Netherlands.
■ The Ambassador's Residence, open to the public for a special viewing
It has been about 100 years since the first official residence was destroyed by the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 and rebuilt in 1928. The building, which still retains its traditional rustic atmosphere, is decorated with traditional and contemporary design furniture and artwork, including works by 19th century Dutch painter Hendrik Willem Mesdag and red & blue chairs by Gerrit Rietveld, creating a special atmosphere which blends Japan and the Netherlands.
- In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we ask to take your temperature at the gate and to voluntarily refrain from participating if you are not feeling well.
- Please note that the event may be cancelled, the number of participants may be limited, or the conditions of participation may be changed, depending on the COVID-19 situation. The latest information will be posted on this website.
- We do not take reservations in advance, but will close as soon as the number of visitors reaches the maximum capacity on the day of the event. Thank you for your understanding.
- The last entry time is 15:45, so please come early. After that time, you will not be able to enter even if you wait in line. Please note that if the number of people in line exceeds the capacity, we may close the entrance even before the last entry time.
- The event will be held rain or shine, and will be cancelled in case of stormy weather. In the event of cancellation, a notice will be posted on this website.
- Please note that we do not accept inquiries by phone or e-mail regarding this event. If you have any questions, please refer to the FAQ below.
- Please take the following precautions on the day of the event.
- Please wear a mask.
- Please take a temperature check when entering.
- Disinfect your hands.
- Follow the designated one-way route in the garden.
- Maintain social distance from those in front of you and behind you.
- Please refrain from entering the garden if you are not feeling well or your temperature is above 37.5 degrees Celsius.
- If you do not follow the measures and precautions for preventing the spread of COVID-19, you may be asked to leave or be denied entry.
【Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ】
Q：Can I come by car?
A： Please do not come by car as there is no parking available.
Q： Where is the nearest station?
A： 7-minute walk from Kamiyacho Station on the Subway Hibiya Line (Exit 3)
10-minute walk from Onarimon Station (Exit A5) on the Toei Mita Line
Q： Can I participate without a reservation?
A：You can participate. However, if the number of visitors to the garden reaches its capacity, you may be asked to wait.
Q： How much does it cost to participate?
A：Free of charge.
Q：Is it possible to take pictures on the day?
A：Yes, it is possible. We are planning a social media campaign for people to submit their photos. Please check the information at the venue on the day itself.
Q： Are pets allowed?
A：We are sorry, but we are unable to accept visitors with pets.
Q：Is there a possibility that the event will be cancelled?
A：The event will be held rain or shine, but may be cancelled in case of inclement weather. If the event is canceled, we will put up a notice on this website.
Q： Is the event wheelchair accessible?
A：Yes, you can see the tulips in front of the official residence and on the tree-lined avenue.
*Please note that there are some areas where we ask visitors to refrain from entering for safety reasons.
Q：Are there restrooms?
A：Restrooms on the Embassy grounds are not available.
Q：Is there a smoking area?
A：Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the Embassy grounds.
Q：Can I eat or drink inside?
A：Please refrain from eating and drinking on the Embassy grounds and at the Ambassador's residence.
Q：Can I walk around freely after entry?
A：After entering, please follow the route as it is a one-way route. In order to allow as many people as possible to view the exhibition, the route may be passed only once.
Q：Can I leave my luggage in the cloakroom?
A：We are sorry, but we cannot store luggage inside the Embassy.
Q：Do I need to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19?
A：Not required. In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, please be sure to follow the measures such as taking temperature, etc. at the venue, and voluntarily refrain from participating if you are not feeling well. Also, please be sure to wear a mask during your visit.
Social Media Campaign:
Let’s make an "Online 🌷 Tulip Gallery" for everyone to enjoy!
🌷 Post your photos and videos taken in the Tulip Garden on your social media accounts with the above hashtag.
🌷 The project is to create a "Tulip Gallery" that can be enjoyed online, which will be collected on a special page managed by the Embassy. We look forward to your participation!
🌷 Please find the terms and conditions here.