Vacancy for Local Senior Management - Tirana
Vacancy for SMA
Role: Local Senior Management Assistant
Organization: Netherlands Embassy in Tirana
Level of position: 06
Work week: 40 hours
Starting date: Q4/2022
The senior secretary/management assistant provides organizational, secretarial and administrative support to management of the embassy:
• provides secretarial support to the ambassador, the deputy ambassador as well as the embassy as a whole
• provides or coordinates secretarial/administrative support for a varied but related range of subjects in a changing official and political setting
• has considerable seniority and can work largely independently
• acts as a link with the internal organization and external environment, makes connections, assesses interests and weighs up consequences
• coordinates complex information from various sources
• contributes to compiling management information
• maintains contacts with a view to harmonizing processes and procedures
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- coordinates and implements secretarial/administrative work, prioritizing specific tasks (including diary and mail management, incoming and outgoing correspondence and telephone communication)
- responds to, or coordinates the response to, a wide-ranging variety of questions, requests and calls, incoming mail and diplomatic courier
- coordinates complex information from various sources
- acts as a link or contact with the internal organization and external environment
- prioritizes, assesses urgency, makes connections and weighs up the consequences of taking action, monitors progress and completion of tasks, identifies issues and sends reminders
- provides general information regarding substance and procedure and administrative and organizational processes
- drafts reports, keeps minutes, translates, elaborates and draws up documents and takes care of correspondence, following general instructions
- provides general administrative, logistical and organizational support including protocol matters
- receives and speaks to visitors, plays a key role in connection with appointments and meetings, both internal and external
- creates and updates work files and databases (such as contacts database)
- draws up overviews for management and other staff
- performs VAR administration of ambassador and deputy ambassador events
- performs small admin tasks such as requests for overflight and sending out Note Verbale’s of an admin nature (in close coordination with operational manager).
- operates embassy telephone including putting incoming calls through, passing on messages and referring callers to relevant websites/email contacts etc.
- Performs duties as receptionist (first point of contact for visitors, etc).
- coordinates and provides input for the Embassy websites in close cooperation with relevant departments in The Hague.
- coordinates and provides input for Embassy’ social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- coordinates and provides input for the different Embassy’s contact lists.
- acts as contact/link, making arrangements relating to administration and processes, and coordinating work with regard to the provision of services
- maintains internal and external contacts regarding the implementation and progress of tasks, providing explanations and support, and exchanging information
The Embassy in Tirana has 19 fte in total including a seconded Dutch Police Officer, a Belgian co-locating Benelux police-officer and her assistant, a seconded Belgian diplomat, and a Dutch migration liaison officer.
The embassy’s work revolves to a large extent around EU integration and subjects related to that such as organized crime and Rule of Law. The Embassy works as one team in the field of the rule of law, EU, human rights, trade & economic, cultural and public diplomacy activities. Synergy between the activities is needed due to the size of the Embassy and smooth back up by other colleagues is therefor also important.
The Senior Management Assistant falls directly under the responsibility of the head of mission. The employee will receive instructions from the management. Duties are carried out and completed without direct supervision and largely at the employee’s own discretion.
The job entails a wide range of internal and external relations, requiring (among other things) an understanding of organizational and functional arrangements within the embassy, within the Ministry and within the Albanian context in which the embassy operates (embassies, government, civil society, etc). Confidentiality and care in dealing with sensitive matters are important as well.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- knowledge of English and Albanian, both in speaking and writing;
- knowledge of the Dutch language would be considered an asset;
- skilled in Windows-driven MS Office programs such as Word and Excel, Outlook
- knowledge of management assistance methods, secretarial work and general secretarial/administrative procedures and regulations
- general knowledge and understanding of current (related) policy areas and processes, and knowledge of standard documentation and archiving techniques
- understanding of civil service and political interests and sensitivities, of primary processes and of administrative, organizational and functional relationships
- skilled in operating as a link with third parties (external and foreign relations) at senior political and official level
- skilled in collecting and interpreting data and compiling management information
- skilled in secretarial/administrative work, and in coordinating complex information flows and processes from various sources, weighing up consequences, interests, priorities etc.
- communication skills (both when meeting visitors and while answering the embassy phone)
- skilled in using social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
LEVEL OF EDUCATION / ADDITIONAL TRAINING AND KNOWLEDGE
- secondary vocational level (MBO)
- level of experience: at least 5 years’ experience
- Knowledge of secretarial/clerical and management support procedures.
- Knowledge of filing and documentation techniques.
- Knowledge of computerized word processing.
- Knowledge of the organization’s work agreements on secretarial/clerical work, regulations, duties, structure and procedures.
- General knowledge of the nature of the embassy’s work.
- Skill in creating and keeping records and in producing progress and other reports, lists and policy documents.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE TYPE OF EMPLOYEE REQUIRED:
- The senior management assistant is a well-organized and pro-active team worker.
- He/she is service minded, communicates clearly yet politely.
- His/her strength include flexibility and stress resistance.
- He/she is often the first point of contact of the Embassy with external contacts.
- He/she needs to be able to work independently and has a good sense for organizing events and the logistics involved. A good sense of humor is indispensable.
- Team player
- Ability to network
- Ability to plan and organise
Please send you application no later than 28 September 2022 to TIR@minbuza.nl indicating you are applying for the vacancy of Senior Management Assistant.
Send us a letter of motivation in English and a CV using the following template: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose
You may be invited for an interview at the embassy in the week of 10-14 October.